09 September 2011

not great at sharing my favorites...

a friend of a friend wants to borrow my copy of “the help.” normally, when someone asks to borrow a book, i have no problem sharing. but there were a few emotions involved in my response to this friend of a friend’s request:

1. my copy of “the help” was given to me as a gift and has a special note on the front page.
2. the copy is hard-back with dust cover. i don’t like my dust cover getting all bent up and yucky.
3. i don’t know the person asking to borrow my book.
so, no problem, right? i’m just being selfish and weird about my book.

but seriously… what if this person dog-ears my pages? what if they spill coffee on it? what if they take it to the beach? or read by the pool and get it all sweaty and yucky? what if their kid uses it as a step-stool? what if their dog chews it? what if they read it in the bathtub and drop it in?! (yes, ridiculous, but you never know!)

chances are, my book will be fine. it’s just a book afterall. but it’s a favorite. and, in telling this brief story to becky and jess, i realized that because my copy is a favorite, i’m having a hard time sharing.

i guess i can be like that with other things, especially new favorite things… like climbing gear, my tent, sleeping bag, etc.,

and not to be all deep and spiritual, but i really have asked God to take that selfish feeling away… the feeling that makes me think it’s mine because it’s really not. it’s His and He has blessed me with it, so i’m asking Him to help me learn how to keep blessing others, even with new or favorite things.

what are some things you have a hard time sharing?

Like

3 comments:

my latest like said...

Well Amber Lady, I think it's totally fine that you don't want to share your newest of things or things that are your favorite. But I do hear you say that want to be less selfish with your "new" stuff. I guess I think it's a great thing for you to know what you are or are not okay sharing.

FYI, I think books are precious too. I have a hard to sharing my books if it is something special to me. Too often I don't get the book back or it look like they used it as a place mat for their dinner plate. :) I also don't like sharing watermelon. Don't even think about sticking your fork into my summer dessert!

dina said...

People and their time. Once I get used to spending a lot of quality time with certain people, I hate having to start sharing it with others. It hurts my pride when someone else becomes more of a priority than me.

Amber Rose said...

love you both. jess, hilarious about the watermelon. you must really love me because one of the very first time we hung out on DBSP'07 was while you were cutting up watermelon... you shared it. i felt loved.

d, totally relate. i don't like feeling less of a priority. i'm selfish sometimes. :)

love love.