27 October 2008

maps and groceries

Great weekend. Spoke with two of my favorite ladies on the phone and cleaned most of the windows (inside/out) in the house. Ahh, the feeling of productivity. 

Favorite phone moment: I'm telling Kelly about the wedding last weekend and how I danced with this guy who's getting a degree in map making. And she's like, "oh, isn't that called cartography or something?" Seriously??! She does this to me all the time... lol and then follows it up by laughing with me and saying, "gosh, I just don't know how I know these things!!" Neither do I, Kel, neither do I...

Oh yeah, and then there's the creepy guy in the refrigerator isle at Publix. After leaning far too close to me, I step back a few feet and he says, "Oh, hi, excuse me, excuse me... I just couldn't help but notice you. You have such beautiful eyes. I was wondering if you have a name?" (Umm... no. My parents got creative and decided to call me human.) I struggled for a few moments, staring at my eggs and finally blurted out, "Um, yeah, it's Amber."

Then he says, "Well, I was wondering if you have a phone number?"  I literally stopped dead, eggs in hand, blinked two or three times (for dramatic effect), looked him dead in the face and asked, "Really? Are you seriously trying to pick me up in the grocery store?! I'm sorry, I'm so not in the mood," as I turned and continued explaining to my roommate how I'd forgotten green beans and ibuprofen.

Unbelievably unsettling.

I expected to look around the corner and see a couple of his friends snickering and giving each other high fives, shoulder punches and dishing out their bet monies... but then realized the guy was way too old for practical jokes and the only other thing I could conjure is that next time I might just say, "Oh, ha ha! Ok, I get it... where's the video camera?!"

Thanks, Keri. :)

No comments: