27 August 2010

Boy genius

Teaching piano in college helped pay the bills, but was also a great experience.

If you've ever taught another human being anything, you might know what I'm talking about.

I love to teach. But it's more than me giving instruction or imparting knowledge. It's a shared experience between student and teacher. For me, it's also a rewarding experiencing.

When a student of any age has a passionate desire to learn an instrument, they are unstoppable. Before this year, I'd only encountered two out of my career 22 students who possessed this insatiable desire.

This time, my mini-Mozart is the same age as my previous prodigies: 6-years-old. But the fire and attention this child gives to practicing and absorbing the piano is unlike any I've encountered.

I taylor my teaching style and method to each student's need and specific learning style. Joshua is no exception.

The kid isn't reading music, but I've taught him over five different scales, including chords and arpeggios... and he knows where every key is on the piano. All 88 of them. All seven octaves from the first A to the last and final C.

But it's only been six weeks and now he's playing Für Elise.

No joke.

He goes on Google (with the help of his mother) and types in the song he likes. So far he's mastered the basic tunes to: This Old Man, Mario's Super NES Theme, The Pink Panther and has now decided to go Classical on me (which I'm thrilled about) and play one of Beethoven's most well known piano pieces.

Fantastic.

I couldn't be more proud, but also frazzled at the same time. I show up each week wondering what he will surprise me with next.

His mother still wants him to read music (ha) but Joshua hasn't time for such nonsensical boredom. His little hands move up and down the keyboard so quickly I can't blink or I'll miss what he's playing. He has to stand up a lot of times, because his arm-span isn't long enough to cover the multiple octaves in Für Elise.

I told his parents if they're interested in a less-traditional teacher -one who teaches by ear perhaps- I'd be fine and volunteered to help them locate someone. They are convinced I am just what they want and would like to keep me as Joshua's teacher.

Oh, Lord.

Not only am I going to have to start practicing piano, I just hope I don't stunt this child's potential.

No comments: