17 September 2010

His image?

The silly band craze is in full swing. I'm sure it's just another fad that will fade in time, but until then, I shall embrace it along with the thousands of children, teens and adults who have done the same.

The kids I live with gave me a few select bands: a "UF blue" Florida Gator, a yellow star, purple heart and blue roller skate. Today at work I found an envelope on my desk -- a happy birthday card from sweet Bryn with a few Disney Princess silly bands. Yay!

So today as I was driving, I pulled the light blue Cinderella, then burgundy Aurora (or "Sleeping Beauty") and finally yellow Belle off my wrist. I untangled them and held them up in the light beaming through my windshield. Staring, I thought, Fascinating. The distinction a rubber band with grooved notches is incredible. I know exactly which princess each band is, only by the outline, shape, position and clothing she represents. I know from my elementary years of dress-up play time, Disney movies and trips to the most magical place on earth that Cinderella keeps her hair up in a fancy bun and wears a full ball gown, while Belle's hair is fashioned into loose curls with a slimmer dress... wow. But they're just rubber bands.

My next thought went immediately to the concept of image and what our world teaches us and propagates to us as acceptable, approved, popular or trendy.

In college, we did a book study on Galatians. To this day, the one thing I remember most is how we are called to put on the image of Christ. Galatians 3:27 - For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ (NAS). This is huge. For me, it's right up there with putting on the armor of Christ (Ephesians 6) and clothing myself with Christ (Romans 13:14).

But I don't always do it.

I'm not saying we should wear Jesus silly bandz... but what would it look like if I went out each day with the intent on bearing Christ to those around me. Wow.

And well, if I did have a Jesus outline on my wrist, I'd want Him to be brown... because I think he was middle-eastern and the idea of a green Jesus kind of freaks me out.

Seriously.

1 comment:

April said...

haha love it! Green Jesus would freak me out too. And I love silly bands!