Ordering my favorite Tijuana beef and black bean (hold the jalapeño), I grabbed sassy hot sauce and a booth by the window.
Nibbling away and watching football, we chatted and people-watched. Mostly discussing the obviously new customers who sat down expecting a waitress. Only took them about 5 minutes to see the “Order Here” sign. Other than people watching, we observed love bugs plastering the window next to our booth. Nice.
Of course I finished first and began nibbling on Jaime’s nacho platter. After a few minutes he quietly said, “You should go outside.” Excuse me, what? “Just walk out on the patio.” Why? “Trust me.” Like, for real? You want me to go walk out onto the patio? Right now? “Yes.”
I turned around, scanning the patio outside. Nothing. Scuffing over to the door I scanned again. At that exact moment, I spotted him. My heart leapt and I may have leapt a bit myself (not an unusual occurrence when this type of thing happens) as I shoved the door open in excitement.
I rushed over and didn’t even ask the owner if I could pet him. His name was Eli, and he was lovely. A beautiful, tall, muscular, sweet natured fawn.
Turns out the owner had just walked in and left the beast with her friend. As the owner passed, Jaime leaned over and said, “You just made my girlfriends day.”
Eli was massive. Just like my old dane, Lucy. He leaned all his weight against my hip, the way danes do when they like someone, giving me a hug. After visiting for a bit, I reluctantly said goodbye. It was hot and love bugs were invading my space in gross proportion.
After washing my hands and sitting back down, I couldn’t stop smiling. It meant a lot to me that Jaime would think to surprise me like that, even if he knew I would’ve seen Eli eventually.
My friends know how much I love great danes. I’ve been known to pull off the road (in a neighborhood of course) to stop and visit one. Come to think of it, there aren’t many things I get that excited about. It’s not so much an obsession but a general love for the animal.
I appreciate the texts, e-mails and verbal affirmation of great dane sightings my friends often shower me with. It’s not uncommon to get a phone call from a good friend saying, “I was driving today and saw this huge, black great dane with his head sticking out the window of a car. I thought of you.” But it’s always so much better when I actually get to see one in person.
No comments:
Post a Comment