I leave for Philly on Monday to write about Dr. Michael Atchison, Ph. D. head of biochemistry in the department of animal biology at the University of Pennsylvania.
Faculty member, since 1989, each year during a lecture on the ethics of genetic testing for diseases, Dr. Atchison says, “I approach the ethical issues from a Judeo-Christian perspective because I am a Christian.” It is the most important thing in his life.
In 1994, while Atchison was identifying himself as a Christian at Penn, a Biochemist at Lehigh University was writing a book on evolution. Michael Behe had found evidence for Darwinian evolution to be scarce and believed after studying the cell that there was evidence of intelligent design.
Because Behe was writing such a controversial book, his editor from Free Press publishers was concerned. The editor spoke with his wife, who happened to be a student in Dr. Atchison’s class. She advised her editor husband to call Atchison.
Unaware, Atchison received the call and after 10 minutes suggested the editor consider publishing Behe’s book. He hung up the phone and went on with life, forgetting about the conversation until two years later.
Behe’s book, Darwin’s Black Box (The Free Press, 1996) was published. It became a best-seller with more than 40,000 copies sold. Atchison wondered if it was the same book he had received the phone call about.
In November 1998, Behe and Atchison met while Behe was visiting Penn for a Faculty Outreach talk. He confirmed Atchison’s query: Yes, Darwin’s Black Box was the book he had been consulted about four years prior. “In fact, Behe said my comments were the deciding factor in convincing the publisher to go ahead with the book,” Dr. Atchison says.
It donned on Dr. Atchison,”By identifying myself as a Christian, I played a small, but crucial part in influencing 40,000 people. I see how mustard seeds move mountains.”
As I learned of this story, I realized not only Atchison’s boldness, but the challenge he presents to me: Am I identifying myself as a Christian? Do people even know I am a Christ follower? Do I represent Christ to others? Would they come to me and ask questions about faith or knowing God?
I hope so.
And I’m so thankful this “job” has led me to meet incredible people like Hung Thach, Srdjan (Chuki) Milicevic, Meline Bilbulyan, Fiona Payne, Oscar Tíul, Coach Corey Edmond and soon Dr. Atchison. They have each, in their own unique way through personal or ministry experience, taught me something new or encouraged me in my faith.
Happy weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment