22 October 2012

distracted


Not only do I feel like I can't get most things accomplished at my normal pace these days, but I constantly feel like that dog in the movie, Up. "Squirrel!!"

I remembered to take pork out of the freezer this morning but only because I was going to the refrigerator to grab my lunch. Dinner meat: check. Lunch? Realized I didn't have it when I was already half-way to work. Awesome.
Am I whining? No.

Am I tormented? No.

Dearest Katie and bryn kindly pointed out that all of my life I've functioned at a high competency, capacity and responsibility (5 strengths: Achiever, Developer, Activator, Learner, Responsibility). But I've never been married. And, now, being married to a man that is my complete opposite has not only doubled my "normal" but increased my desire to be on top of things (enter sin problem number 578)... I'm a perfectionist. And as such, I'm entitled to at least try and get things right. Right? 

Nope. But it does explain why I've had at least one breakdown per week since my wedding day. Annnd... why I can't seem to stay on top of anything because I'm trying to do everything. My husband refers to this condition as: striving.

This weekend, I finally tackled a majority of the to-do items I've been trying to finish for weeks: painted our bedroom, the living room, a headboard, 4 shelves, 6 picture frames and started to put books on shelves and attempt to hang a few things on the walls. ::whew:: But I could only focus on the things I didn't finish from last weekend: broken washing machine, drill bits that won't dig far enough into the freaking concrete walls so I can hang my blinds up properly, weather stripping that I'm annoyed with putting up, caulking that didn't dry properly, and a garden that is yielding absolutely nothing but weeds. (Not weed. But in my neighborhood, the market is hot...)
Did I mention my hand hurts from painting two days in a row (either that or it's arthritis)? It's a good reminder that I need to chill out. And, that being distracted and feeling a tad mentally hyper-active is probably all part of this new season I'm in. From the moment I said, "I do," my life has been one huge distraction of sorts. And, I'm loving it. 

Maybe I'll try and paint some more furniture this weekend... or go pick up a piano that I'd love to finally have in our home... or bake more pumpkin pies while waiting for paint to dry. But first I have to pay the electric bill, stop by the bank, take the drill bit back to Home Dump (I mean, Depot) get to Aldi, Ace Hardware and Target... 

What was I doing again??

1 comment:

dina said...

are you doing all those things by yourself? that's a to-do list that no human could possibly tackle. no wonder you're having mental breakdowns! i know married life is supposed to be a whirlwind but i don't think it has to cause mental breakdowns. girl, take care of yourself!