18 October 2012

Pleonexia


Greek for greed or covetousness.
Last week, our pastor spoke on the topic of pleonexia from the book of Luke.We discussed it as a small group last Tuesday night.
The definition of greed: the inordinate desire to possess wealth, goods, or objects of abstract value with the intention to keep it for one’s self (not willing to share what one has)… Covetousness: an envious eagerness to possess something (always wanting more).
It was fascinating to hear everyone’s examples, struggle, confession, etc., Since money, wealth, affluence, status and power are such a huge deal in the grand ole US of A, it wasn’t difficult to converse about it for over an hour.
When it comes down to it, I think what hit me most is that we are all guilty of some form of pleonexia. Most people focused on money, but one guy even mentioned that if we took all the money away in the world, there would still be greed and coveting. He used the example of athleticism and always wanting to be better than a teammate or competitor. He was always coveting what others had in the arena of athletics and always wanted to be best.
I think deep down I want to say that I like to share and I’m fine with not having ridiculous amounts of stuff… but I do want nice, nicer and expensive things. I do desire worldly goods. I just don’t always act on it. But that doesn’t make my heart any prettier than the people who do spend all their money on beautiful designer clothing, clean-cut lawns and shiny Aston Martin’s.
And, really, this matter of pleonexia is all about the heart. Something to chew on as I drive by the homeless guy I pass every day on Orange Ave near Michigan, trying not to judge him and mumble to God that he should be in a shelter or looking for work somewhere instead of expecting hand-outs… something to talk about with my husband when we are driving or creating a budget together. Am I really satisfied with what God has given me or am I alway striving for more? Do I desire what others have so much that all I can do is fixate on those things? Can my heart rest in God’s provision and timing?
This is a terrible blog entry and I don’t have a bow to tie on it, but it’s a discussion topic I predict will not be swept under the rug anytime soon…

No comments: