13 November 2012

I'm sorry, what?!


After reading this article today, my tolerance for holiday ads hit a wall. So I posted on Facebook... something I rarely do.

A Black Thursday?? I'm sorry, what?!

It's called Thanksgiving Day, people. Not Black Thursday.

Quoting the article, "The early store openings might be an attraction to people who want to get a head start on their holiday shopping. But they are a bane for store workers. For many, it means having to miss out on Thanksgiving with their families."

Makes me sick... and sad. Way to go, America.

A few people commented, but I think their missing the point. So I add:
Black Friday, the very idea of it, is horrible. That's my point. I'm just sickened by our own sin and seemingly American, narrow-minded view of SELF. The ads on the radio and internet these days are all about "me, me, me" and holiday shopping is all about making me happy and satisfied. No thanks. I think I'll just hang with my family and be thankful for what God has already provided. Not focused on buying a new toy or electronic device that is going to be replaced in the next week anyway when the newest, greatest, nicest, most expensive, brand-name whatever hits the shelf. And, Suzie, you're right, floods, earthquakes and fire are horrible. So is the death of a loved one. I'd rather spend time with family and friends than buy them another 'something' to thrown in a landfill. (Annnnd... this is a hot-button for me... so much more involved and underlying. I LOVE to buy gifts for people, that's not what I'm talking about here. So sorry for the rant.)

But I'm not sorry for the rant. I am sorry for how I come across to some people, especially those of you who might think I'm angry or yelling. I'm neither. I'm sickened and saddened and my stomach hurts for so many injustices that maybe it's just easier to take it out on the smaller things like consumerism and selfishness that surround the holidays. Bleck. I'm going nowhere here... just thought I'd write... or something. 

No comments: