Justin was thrilled upon arriving at the gate to Hostel in the Forest.
He had no idea what the place was, but was beginning to realize how stinking cool our weekend was going to be.
The road leading us through the forest was bumpy and narrow. We were on an adventure for sure! We felt like two kids exploring the woods for the first time. I had never been to this place, so it was a new experience for me as well.
After parking and walking down the dirt path to check in, we kept catching glimpses of wooden structures up in the trees... tree houses! Justin was like, "Woah! Are we going to stay in one of those?!" Yup. I replied, grinning. It was fun to see him so excited.
We walked up the path to arrive at the main building, to which we were greeted by a few volunteers and these lovely hearts made from leaves on the path...
(yes, that's Justin playing guitar on the porch)
Before we knew it, we were walking down slender boardwalk into the woods...
...and up a narrow flight of stairs to our honeymoon suite treehouse!
Ate dinner with some new, interesting friends from all walks of life...
Justin was able to relax, play guitar and we worshipped for a bit on the porch one afternoon while a cold front was moving in.
We decided to leave early because of the cold (I was getting sick and it was going to be below 30 degrees that night) and go to St. Augustine. So we ended our fun surprise-for-Justin weekend with a historic stay in the countries oldest fort city.
We saw cannons fire at the Castillo San Marcos...
And enjoyed a free meal at Harry's New Orleans Style Seafood Restaurant because the hostess was so rude, the manager was kind and insisted allowing her to let the house take care of us.
We ended the weekend by driving down A1A (beachfront avenue!) along the Atlantic Ocean the next day. We stopped at Fort Matanzas, built in 1740 by the Spanish to protect St. Augustine from the French. Fun times. My history-teacher-buff-husband was enjoying the heck out of all the history.
We even stopped for a quick toes-in-the-sand opportunity and chance for me to try out my mad hand and headstand skills I've been working on in yoga...
It was a great weekend. Even though I coughed non-stop through all of it. I was determined not to ruin the weekend for Justin and he told me he was impressed with what a good mood I was in, despite my terrible cold. I take no credit. It was the Lord. And we were actually able to get good rest each night.
Justin said it was one of his most favorite weekends since we've been married. I was thankful for a fun weekend away with the hubs.








No comments:
Post a Comment