11 March 2013

recycle


I wanted this to be a really creative and fun entry with analogies, good rhythm and beautifully crafted sentences.
Oh’well.
Recycling is one of those words I always add to a list of “interests” or “likes” when I’m setting up a profile like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc., I always include it. Because it’s true. I love to recycle. I love the idea of it and the action of it.
It also makes me feel good. Like, I’m contributing to the environment, world, mankind, fellow humans, neighbors, pollution control, etc., etc., etc.,
This morning I came home and found the distinct red and green bins of my neighbors turned over. Justin and I are actually the only ones on our street who recycle… so… by neighbors, I mean the people down the other street.
I was bummed because our bins are full but I didn’t have time to put them out before leaving this morning to take Justin to work.
But as I drove by my neighbors empty bins, I was sure I had missed the recycle truck.
After parking my car, I moped to the door. As I stuck the key in the door I heard the familiar engine drone and squeal of big-truck brakes. I ran to the end of my driveway and saw the giant brown, city recycle truck stopped at the corner. I took off running back into the carport and grabbed the green bin. Scurrying back out to the curb, I set it down, stopped, looked right at the truck and then, as if on cue, he turned down my street! I was elated. I ran full-speed back into the carport for the red bin, returning to the curb just as the brakes squealed for a second time and a friendly driver jumped out to take the bins from me. I was stoked.
Thank you, Mr. Recycle man for making my day.

No comments: