My arms were loaded with stuff, keys in hand. I stopped in the doorway, punched in my 4-digit code to arm my security system and stepped out the door. I heard him before I saw his lanky frame, hastily approaching my driveway. "HEEEEY!!" he yelled, almost screamed in a young, yet trying-to-be-manly voice. I smiled, and then quickly threw my things on the car seat to meet him half-way. Hi, Davy! I replied, happily. Where have you been? We haven't seen you for weeks! He smiled that awkward Davy smile and peered down at me with inquisitive and almost sarcastic eyes. "I was in Georgia with my family, for 12 weeks," he slurred a bit, slightly difficult to understand. And then he sighed like an 8-year-old boy as if I was supposed to know that.
"My house is the one on 18th... 1...3...2...8," he emphasized. Then he leaned over and wrote it in the dust on the back of my car. "There, 1328," he repeated. I laughed and thanked him. So, which side of the street is it on, Davy? "It's..." he hesitated and waved his massive wing span of arms for me to follow him. Together, we walked to the edge of the driveway, his six foot, seven inch frame towering beside my five foot eight inches. Davy's white high-tops, filthy and falling apart, flopped off his feet. He drew up his right arm, looked at me and then peered off in the distance toward Orange Blossom Trail, "See that stop sign?" Yes. "Well, you go past that. Then it's the horseshoe. We live in the horseshoe." He paused and gave me that awkward Davy smile. Alright, Davy, I smiled. Justin and I will stop by and say hi sometime.
We walked back up the driveway to the car and he pulled of his head scarf. "You see right here?" he asked, running his pointer finger along the top of his head. "I got braids." Oo! Lemme see, turn around. So he did and the cornrows looked nice. Who did it? "My mom," he said, proudly. That's really cool, Davy, thanks for showing me. You look real handsome.
I have to go to work now, but I hope you have a good day. I looked down at his plastic grocery bag filled with empty beer cans and a few soda cans. I don't think we have any cans today, Davy... as I walked over to look in our recycle bin. Davy knows Monday is recycle day, so he goes around collecting cans to turn them in at the recycling center up the road. Sorry. Not today. But I hope you find lots before the truck gets here!
"See ya later," Davy called as he walked off. "You have a newspaper!" he yelled. Thanks! See ya, Davy. I grabbed my phone and texted Justin, "Davy stopped by. Told us he lives at 1328 18th. Wants us to stop by. :)" He replied a few minutes later, "Sweet kid." So true. He is a sweet kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment