23 July 2008

more pasta

I had the privilege of creating homemade lasagna for dinner last night. You know, there's a reason they put directions on the box, I just figured it couldn't be that difficult and stopped reading after I mixed the 8 bazillion cheeses that go in the dang thing.

Things were looking pretty good until I ran out of cheese. Then I read the directions. Ooops. So apparently, this particular lasagna is only intended to stack 2.5 layers high. Welp, I decided to make it 3.5. We'll call it: Amber's Lack of Better Judgement in Reading Directions Irish Lasagna. :) Who ever said it had to be exactly the way the directions read?

Something I learned how to do today: kill 4 hours on my iBook. Talk about an afternoon flying by. The last thing I remembered was lunch. The rest is a blur of uploading, editing, deleting and filing pictures... stalking people on Facebook, emailing, looking for something to do this weekend and updating my iCalendar and address book. Word to your mother. What a fantastic use of 3+ hours.

After a nice sunny afternoon, dark clouds blew in and the wind picked up, bringing some cooler mountain breezes through the area. As the climax of the storm passed I watched ducks playing in the lake in front of my parents' house. I wanted to play in the rain too, so I grabbed Ritz crackers and scampered onto the asphalt driveway, making my way down to the water. The younger ducks all hang out in this nice little clique- assumedly because they are the same age. Amazingly, the older ducks allowed the clique to eat first and waited guardedly in the back of the line for their share of crumbled treats. I suppose I've become too accustom to our dogs, who devour anything you put in front of them and never hesitate to steal from one another. The ducks were a nice change of pace.

I haven't been so anxious to read my Bible. I don't have guilt about it but I'm definitely not proud either. The past week I've been reading it online instead. Kind of like how I used to listen to it on my iPod on the way to work. My study Bible got left in Orlando, so I'm missing it. Still not an excuse though. I have the freebie-ESV they handed out at CSU last summer. I just don't enjoy it as much. Good thing is, I'm still talking to the Lord. We're in constant conversation each day as I ponder and pray over people, emails, phone calls and referrals. He's also allowing me some sweet time to just be still and enjoy where I am. North Carolina is beautiful and I want to take advantage of being here.

My girl, Dina remembered she has a blogspot today and it reminded me of a few other people I like to keep up with. Almost all of the people I grew up going to church and youth group with are married and have at least one child. It's been fun getting back in touch with a handful of them and keeping up with their lives on blogs, email and phone. My friend, Amy has a beautiful little girl who I was able to meet her a few months ago. It was so nostalgic being back in the town I grew up and holding one of my childhood friends' baby! She is so darling! I had to keep reminding myself that she was really Amy's little girl and that I was really standing there holding her.

Being around people my age and younger who have children is always eye-opening. Depending on the situation, it does one of two things, if not both simultaneously: 1. makes me feel like I've missed the boat and am way behind on life, 2. makes me very glad I am single. However, it always completely over-joys me seeing them happy and moving forward in their stage of life. Being single is where God has me for now, I'm ok with it.

On a disturbing note, I was rudely awakened to the news today that Florida is no longer the lightning capital of the world. Sad day. It was the one thing you could always boast about. Now, I suppose our claim to fame will have to be shark attacks and alligator killings at Lake Hart.

I might go to the mountains this weekend. There is a festival that looks promising... we shall see.

No comments: