The other day I made an offhand comment. Of course it was something I had been thinking in my head and lamenting over... almost the staging of my own mental pity party. When I opened my mouth, this was heard, "I miss my real friends."
Wow. Ouch to the people in the car with me. ::Dang, Amber. Could you be a little less harsh next time?::
I hadn't meant this comment to be hurtful, but after repeating it to myself and placing myself in the other peoples' shoes, I realize how I would have felt if someone had said it in my presence.
It's not that I don't like my new friends. It had absolutely nothing to do with the people in my immediate presence. The fact is, I just missed my best friends. The four women in my life who know me better than anyone besides my mother and the Lord.
After thinking of what brought this about (internal processor), I discovered the fuel for my passionate remark: I don't like being misunderstood. I don't think anyone does, but I find it incredibly difficult to monitor my every comment or "behavior" around new friends (i.e. people I'm getting to know and have known less than a 6 months). Therefore, I have noticed that people might think I am being very serious or even slightly jerkish, when in reality I'm just being overly opinionated or sarcastic.
-->Note to self: work on bridling the sarcasm.
With that, I leave you some Eddie Izzard: Cake or Death?
No comments:
Post a Comment