08 July 2008

[subject]

I'm still deciding whether or not I like this whole "blogger" world. It seems unfriendly compared to Xanga.

After driving 9 hours in the pouring down rain, having to go 15 miles under the speed limit and wondering why I bothered washing my car, I finally arrived. There were about 27 knots in my neck and shoulders, I was hungry and very tired. Thank goodness for nocturnal parents, homemade split pea soup and fresh bread. Welcome back to good'ole North Carolina.

As I made my way around town running errands yesterday afternoon, it occurred to me that I hadn't been cut-off or honked at once, nobody was running red lights and people were actually nodding and waving... or giving the "finger-lift-of-friendliness." You know the one: a person coming the opposite direction of you in their vehicle sees and acknowledges you by lifting up their pointer finger, gently yet purposely, off the top of the steering wheel, not to misdirect the wheel but just to let you know they see you and are being polite in that southern hospitality kind of way. Bless your heart.

There is a small lake in front of my parents home. The ducks sleep on the side of the road and when I came home last night the lights from my car startled and sent them running and squawking down the side of the lake. Pretty funny, really.

It's relaxing here and I feel like I can get a good amount of work done. The task of MPD is always daunting, but I'm determined to make the best of it. God is allowing me to be here and do what is necessary to make sure I can report back fully funded. Despite the ball of anxiety and dread I've had in my stomach for the past 2 weeks, I'm going to take advantage of the time I have here and continue motivating myself to finish up and get back to O-town. It's times like this that fighting the realist (pessimist in denial) within is more difficult than ever.

Randomly placed visits to other cities will help keep things interesting. The mountains have been calling since I crossed the border, so I'm hoping to make it west to do some hiking and rock climbing. Too bad none of my climbing buddies will be around to go with me...

My hope is to not become a troglodyte who dwells in darkness and enjoys cold rock for company, but to become someone a bit more refined. Someone who is learning her place in this world and allowing God to take her through hills and valleys to strengthen and mold her character. Someone who's hope is built on nothing less than the solid rock, our Lord.

Living by faith, trusting a big God, praying big prayers and walking in the Spirit - - if only it was as easy done as said.

"For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness." - Galatians 5:5

No comments: