11 August 2008

warning: opinionated content

This is a mumble-jumbled mess of thought that has been bubbling up for a few days now... Not sure how to form it into coherent flow. My apologies for anyone bored enough to be reading this.

It started Friday night watching the opening ceremonies in Beijing. Watching the nine-year-old earthquake survivor Lin Hao, (who freed himself from the rubble of his school then returned to rescue two of his classmates) march beside Yao Ming as he carried the Chinese flag into the stadium, evoked great emotion. I sat there with tears in my eyes and heart breaking for that country. It blew my mind.

There has been a change. Or perhaps a separation. Maybe it's part of growing up, but whatever it is I don't love it. I began noticing it into my first semesters of college... on the occasional weekends, holidays and summer breaks that I would be back under my family's roof.

The change I'm talking about is how I view the world and those around me vs. people with opposing views. Even in something as simple as which news station we prefer and the information we consider legitimate.

Since college, I've become more liberal in some ways... really all that means is I'm not a hard-core republican or conservative and don't fill my mind with super biased information (like I may have done before college). I like to read the New York Times and BBC. I enjoy a glass of wine with friends. I love dancing. I'm comfortable around pot-smoking, cussing, atheist, rock climbing hippies who live with their boy/girlfriends. I have friends who are homosexuals and know I don't condone their lifestyle but will love them despite it. I talk to homeless people and ask them questions about how they got where they are. Heck, I'll talk to anyone in a new place and find out about their life and the city they live in- no matter what they look like. I don't believe saving the polar bears is really going to be a good use of money. Come on people. There are children in Darfur, China, Iraq, Brooklyn, Chicago, Los Angeles, Guatemala, Mexico, etc., that need money more than cute little bears (love animals, but sometimes nature must run its course). As far as religion, I'm stuck somewhere between Presbyterianism and Southern Baptist-ismness. Perhaps non-denominational is a good option... The whole reformed thing is so not me. Seriously? Maybe this is why I can't do seminary...

I believe change starts on the most basic level of what people believe in their immediate surroundings. This is based on community and social experience  - - what they see or seem to think is the only accurate depiction of a race or ethnic group. Unfortunately I think this is true of many Americans and it saddens me. Deeply.

I'm not perfect. Do not hear me saying that. I am guilty of judging people based on looks, actions, etc., but I also try to see people through the eyes of Jesus. I don't know why, but He has given me the gift of empathy and it pains me. It is an incredible burden to feel sorrow in your heart for another person- especially those you do not know. I'm not saying to go around feeling sorry for people. But I do think we can show love and have our eyes opened to the hurt around us. When we can't get past our own needs or wants, how are we ever going to see another's cry for help?

Why do we always assume the absolute worst about people? I don't think we should assume the best, but a little bit of grace would be awesome. And granted, there ARE bad people out there. I just don't think everyone is out to get us.

I get tired of hearing comments and judgmental remarks from people who do not have experience with the group of people, subject matter or ethnic population they are directing remarks toward. Do some research. Or even better, how about some community service? Volunteer at a high risk middle school or inner city youth group. Those kids need a role model. Our neighborhoods and cities need people to start reaching out. How are they going to view the world if we don't? Go on a mission trip. Go overseas. Go to your local soup soup kitchen. Get the heck out of your comfort zone and educate yourself about the world a little bit. Shocking thing is: people would find they aren't so different from each other as they might assume.

Not every kid who grows up in the ghetto has to become a gang member and deal drugs while his pregnant girlfriend lives at home with her grandmother and works the night shift at IHOP to pay bills (speaking from experience, not assumption). Wake up and smell the coffee people. Who did Jesus hang out with? That's right. The lowest of low. The people who were the most needy, the most messed up and yet had the greatest desire for redemption and change in their life. They were looking to the real Jesus for real change. They were looking for love. For just one person to give them attention, even if it was negative. Jesus brought the promise of life. He brought change, healing and forgiveness accompanied by a love that does not die.

What are we offering?

4 comments:

Joel and Kitty said...

Hey girl! Thanks so much for your sweeeeet phone call! I have been in a DAY long staff meeting, but that was a bright spot to listen to on our “break”. Thanks for thinking of us 

dina said...

Thanks for putting this out there. People need to chew on it. These kinds of opinions, while they may step on toes, need to be shared.

I feel like I was reading something out of my own mind. What i'd love is to be chatting about these things with you and Cathy over wine and chocolate. I'll have a fresh supply of both come September when you get here.:):)

Scot said...

i like it!

Anonymous said...

I love you! Thanks for the call Monday...you made a great day even better. :-)