04 August 2008

d.c. metro madness

The precise reddish-orange arm of the odometer crept toward a steady cruising speed of 70mph as I crested a hill on I-495, outside Silver Spring, MD.

Coldplay's new album, Viva la Vida blaring, a/c cranked, oversized sunglasses bobbing on my nose as I rocked my head and thumped my fingers against the steering wheel...

!brake lights!

Immediate thoughts that ran through my mind, accompanied by a tightening in my diaphragm: Why are there five lanes of traffic JAMMED with stopped vehicles and more importantly, where did they all come from?!

For the record: it is safer and saner to drive in New York City than in- or within- a 30 mile radius of our nation's capital. I can vouch for myself, having been in both cities within two years of the other... in prime tourist season.

MD drivers tend to be the worst, but similar to Orlando crazies. VA drivers are runners-up. I feel for anyone who is not a city driver and decides to bear that menagerie. I'd stick to public transportation or opt for a European family vaca.

Besides traffic (thank God for good tunes and spiritual breathing), the weekend was great. Got to see one of my students from Daytona last summer, hang out with a friend from HS, see Newport Beach '04 friends at a wedding and spend time with a friend from college. Things I'm thankful for: free places to stay, free food, sugar loaf monadnock, quality time, dancing like a child of the 50s, playing Wii, beautiful fun jewelry, pet bunnies (hilariously entertaining!), watching two people who love each other more than life itself exchange vows and enter into a lifetime of love and ministry to one another.

I've stopped in Raleigh for a couple days to visit Jessica before the black hole of campus ministry at Duke swallows her alive.

No comments: